Monday, March 16, 2009

Why Blog?

The Rule: Blogging is a Boondoggle

Few people have read my blog, and those who have probably don't check on it every day to gander at Travis' new insights. I write as if I have an audience, and I might not have any whatsoever- well at least a mortal audience with flesh and blood. So am I wasting my time, since hardly anyone reads this? Not at all. Blogging is more than busywork. It's a documentation of my soul's inner workings, and an evolution, I hope, to the quality of my writing.

Sure maybe down the line I pick up an audience, but for now I write for the sake of writing.

Then why is it in a blog, a public one at that? This implies my desire to be read. That is true. But whenever a post is published it is a sample of a bigger dream I have: to actually be published in print. Now, then is this a narcissistic hope? I don't think so. The desire to be published is the desire to be heard and this is need to be loved. Eventually, I want to write full time all the time, and this stems from another desire, the desire to create.

Eventually as a blog grows in readership, so does the author's public presence.

So blogging appeases many of the writer's desire:

1. To be heard.

2. To consistently practice their writing.

3. Self-Promotion

4. Share one's knowledge and insight for other's edification

Most of the time, the reader's lives are not changed on blogs, just the writer's, if the writer lets it.

No comments:

Post a Comment