Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Who Said A Quickie isn't a Good Thing

The Rule: Best Decisions are Made With Much Thought

The only light I have is is my desk lamp in my office. It's warm and giving me a headache. Beyond my transparent curtains I see a haze of buildings with only the white and red light penetrating into my office. It is 10:00pm, I am tired and want to go home, yet in a blog that tries to shatter the rules of life, I created the rule of writing something everyday. Ironic isn't it? Maybe I shouldn't have made the rule of writing in it everyday out of a whimsy, or should I have?

Why do we create rules out of randomly generated thoughts, like I did about my blog? The biggest decisions are made with the smallest of time. For me I see this in several ways: usually if I decide to fast, it just strikes me in a moment. I could be digging for boogers in the shower and decide to give up solid food for a week. Or maybe, while I am checking out the mole on my scalp, I decided I will go on that camping trip for my entire Thanksgiving break.

For me, I create rules not out of deep pain, deep thoughts and mind blowing epiphanies, but out of randomness. Sometimes it generates into something rather amazing, sometimes it is a complete flop. When these conclusions come from the mundane, I seriously doubt decisions.

Is making big decisions on the fly, during random moments without the slightest deep reflection actually beneficial? It might actually be, because I am acting out on the primal desire when I come up with an idea. Though it may not be the best, it certainly is what I want. So the real trick is training my subconscious to know what is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment